Thursday, April 13, 2006

Feingold For President

If you haven’t yet heard of Senator Russ Feingold, it is my pleasure to introduce to you the man I believe should be the next president of the Untied States of America. If you already know and love Mr. Feingold, and appreciate his uncommon willingness to put honor before politics, the Constitution before self-serving kowtowing, and his constituents before Washington party tricks and lobbyist favors, then you understand my enthusiasm.

I haven’t been this excited by a possible presidential candidate since Bill Clinton, and that’s saying something. Feingold, like Clinton, is a Rhodes Scholar -- imagine that, an intelligent man in office once again! -- who received his law degree from Harvard, went on to public service, and is presently Wisconsin senator, member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Foreign Relations Committee, and Senate Intelligence Committee.

This is a man who knows what the hell he’s doing, y’all. He is self-made, political-wise, no string-pulling parents and parents’ friends paved his way with golden, undeserved opportunity and bricks made of excuses, no puppetry involved here, no cocaine or alcohol-fueled past. As a Rhodes Scholar and Harvard graduate, you can bet yer bippy Feingold wasn’t nursing hangovers instead of attending class like some presidents I could name.

And, get this: He has testicles made of iron. Yes, you read that correctly -- Feingold boasts a pair so mighty, so fearlessly bold, it has been said that the clanging of his cojones as he walks the halls of Congress sends shivers down the boneless spines of House Republicans. Rumor has it that Dubya himself cowers in the corner of the Oval Office when he hears that fearsome clang coming his way.

Feingold demands accountability, believes it is imperative that Bush and cronies own up to their deceitful practices, that this country deserves democratic leadership, not totalitarian rule. He is alarmed, frustrated, angry by Dubya’s self-appointed monarchy, and he thinks it’s time to stick that tarnished crown where the sun don’t shine. Feingold expresses aloud what most of those lily-livered squatters in Washington are whispering about, and does so with conviction, class and impressive courage in the face of quiet evil. I admire this man’s tenacity in his pursuit of justice, and doing so despite the “see no evil, hear no evil” stance of his colleagues, the band of brothers that literally shield the current administration with their menacing presence and turbo-charged spin.

Russ Feingold might not get his wish to censure Bush, but I salute this man for even trying. At least he tried. And isn’t that a quality we want in our leaders? Don’t we want someone who at least tries to do the right thing despite adversity or the possibility of being bullied by the status quo? A strong, compassionate leader who will favor diplomacy, human rights, environmental concern and the voice of the people he works for instead of megalomaniacal desires and self-righteous indulgence? Don’t we need a truth-seeker in office?

As Theodore Roosevelt once said, “The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

Assume the position, Bush, and prepare to receive the proper coronation.

9 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger E said...

@$)*&$(%*^^%!& I hate it when you get all brainy and political on me;)!!! Now that I've heard the Pros on him - let's hear the Cons...

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about time we have another political candidate I can actually fantasize about ! (Bang your balls for me, baby. Bang them!)

:)
Jordan (not at my computer therefore the poorly-covering disguise of anonymity)

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Alice said...

Dude, that guy sound sooo cooool.

...Really, he does.

Oh, and in case you're interested: I'M BACK BABY, YEAH!

New post. Finally back on line.

Glad that's all sorted, now I'll see all you Cool Blogging Gals next Tuesday after the Easter weekend.

Have a great four days, Lor.

;-)

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

Sounds interesting. I have to wait and see though...because if he's strongly affiliated with EITHER party, I'll have problems with him. I'll support him if he's at least honest and not evil, but I'll support MORE if someone will get behind the sort of cleanup that is actually necessary - a wholesale kicking out of he old guard and shaping up of the new before we implode. Seriously, they get almost as much of our income as we do, and it isnt' enough for them? Something's got to be done....

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Leenie, there may well be some cons -- he's human, after all -- but I've yet to hear anything that would sway my good opinion of him. Plus, he's young, handsome (imo), and funny! All very important prerequisites for being the leader of the free world. :-) ;-) ;-0

Ha! Jordan, if he’s as wise as I believe him to be, he'd hire us as campaign managers. Can you imagine the slogans we would come up with? "Feingold: He's Got Big Balls!" AC/DC's "I've Got Big Balls" could be the official campaign song.

Alice, glad to hear things are back on track! See ya next week!

David, I think he's the real deal, truly I do. Of course, if he doesn't chose to run, it's moot, but I think it's a strong possibility. Rumbles abound, and usually those rumbles mean one thing: Someone's revving up their campaign engine. Got my fingers crossed!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

"He's young."

Bwahahahahahahaha.

On all other points, I think you're right on, babe.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Granny said...

The only con is I'm not sure if we're ready for the truth.

After all, look who's in office (twice).

I've been rooting for him too but it's kind of like rooting for the Green Party.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger The Resistance said...

I agree that Senator Feingold would make a fine President.

His co-sponsorship of campaign finance reform legislation was very important, and he is fiscally conservative.

On the issue that is important to me -- Cuba -- I have yet to hear his views.

I hope, he does not run to Miami -- like Al Gore did -- to ask for money from the zealots that populate that city.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Stephanie, he *is* young! I think he's only, like, ten or eleven years older than I am. Or is that my ego talking? ;-)

Ann, I'm still smarting over Nader being a total tool and taking votes away from a viable candidate, so don't mention the GP around me ever again. KIDDING! But I really believe Feingold has a chance if in fact he does run -- he's not too "out there" for middle-of-the-road voters, yet liberal enough to please the left.

Hey CJ -- I'm sure we'll be hearing much more in the coming months. He seems like someone who might be able to get this country back on track. 'Course, it'll take an unholy amount of time to undo the damage done by the Bush admin., but he'd definitely get things going in the right direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home