Monday, January 15, 2007

Ruby

My sweet friend went to the big hamster wheel in the sky yesterday.

Some of you will recall my completely unnatural connection to Ruby -- she was a spooky little darling who touched my soul. Why, I haven’t a clue. She just did.

Perhaps, in another life, she was my Great Aunt Yolanda, or something. Or I hers. Or she was my stern yet lovable schoolteacher, Mrs. Hornsby. Or I hers.

Well, at least now I don’t have to feel that decidedly unpleasant kick-in-the-chest I used to experience whenever I ventured into my daughter’s room and saw poor Ruby’s old bald ass desperately waddling in circles (apparently, she’d gotten too feeble to ride her wheel, so she settled for a light jog around her cage).

She was special.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Hamster Whisperer, Part Three

In your realm, in yourself, light thoughts
Sent aloft on wisps of woody snow
And cathode-blue glow
Chase a path made of dropped apple and
Almond slivers, spectral lovers and dew
But the things you imagine, contained in glass
Skip along the walls, sniff in corners
Tangle up in the spinning wheel, yet
They give you meaning, they
Taste of sky, of sun and dirty rain
Smell of wind rushing through alien trees
Feel like divinity, like the reason for everything
Canned laughter dances along, electric comfort
For your aging soul
As you make your way through this life, alone
Save for the power of dream

7 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Oh, as I have just lost my beloved fuzzy, my stinky, my little--16 lbs of love munchkin cat--I am all empathy for the hole miss Ruby will leave.

I wish I could write Figaro so nice a poem.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Alexis said...

Gosh, Ms. Lori - I am so sorry.

I am thinking of you and Ruby x x x

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

What a sweet, nice li'l poem you wrote!

I love hamsters. When mine kicks the bucket, I'm going to bury him in his entire cage in the yard... mainly because his pee corner stinks constantly now... even after washing.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

My condolences in the loss of your furry friend. No matter the species, they are all special to us. Grief comes in One-Size-Fits-All. My heart goes out to you.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger gerry rosser said...

I never had a hamster
I once had a rat
I once had a cat
No more rat
No more cat

Adieu, Ruby

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh. I'm sorry.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Thanks, guys. I'm kind of dopey and weird, getting all misty over a hamster like that. Of course, not many hamsters can recite Sylvia Plath like Ruby used to...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home