Friday, October 14, 2005

Question For the Electronics-Savvy...

Can anyone tell me why my television enjoys freaking me out each morning by greeting me with the hideous inanity of QVC instead of the channel I was watching prior to falling asleep the night before?

Here is some background regarding this bizarre situation:

1) I like to fall asleep with the TV on. It drowns out the voices in my head.

2) I generally fall asleep anywhere between 11:00 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., and I may wake during the night, oftentimes catching a minute or two of whatever show is on before falling back to sleep.

3) Apparently, the channel is switched only during a relatively long block of uninterrupted sleep, say three hours or so (weekdays, I rise at 5:30-6:00 a.m. 'cause, like, it's my job to suffer), but there have been times when I'll wake after only a short doze, and the channel is on QVC. It’s also occurred during the day, like the time I wasn’t feeling well and spent most of the day in bed. When I’d returned from one of the many trips to the bathroom, the channel had been switched from CNN to QVC. My boy was napping at the time.

And from what I can tell, there is no continuity regarding the switch, no set time, no rhyme or reason. It just switches whenever…or simply chooses not to.


4) This is not a constant occurrence -- it began sometime in mid-September, continued every night until last week (can’t recall which day it stopped, as I’m in a dreary fog most of the time), but started up again last night.

5) The volume is also hiked to a much louder volume, presumably to make sure I hear every single sickening squeal (oooh, alliteration!) of the QVC folks pimping their shit.

6) The remote is nowhere near my sleeping hand - I keep it on my nightstand so that I don't accidentally roll over and suffocate it.

7) I’ve checked menu and preferences, searched for possible “presto-chango” options, to no avail

8) I have Time-Warner digital cable, and the box in my bedroom is not the master box -- the master is in the living room.

9) The channel doesn’t spontaneously switch in the living room.

10) I am the sole bedroom remote-toucher because I am an isolated woman as of late with no nighttime company (Note to my male readers: I'll be taking applications shortly). Also, I keep it on my highboy during the day so my little phlump doesn’t get to it

So, anyone have a clue as to what‘s going on here?.

6 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Ok, that is a mystery!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

It is, Katie. The channel did not change last night. Maybe the boob spook doesn't like me discussing him.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

But, Jas! It's a *haunted* TV! Or something.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger A said...

Maybe you have a ghost? Who likes shopping for crappy items?

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Alena, it's possible, but I don't *feel* anything ghostly...There might be something in the basement, though -- my cat has a real problem with the basement on occasion, will race up the stairs, tail puffed, fur stuck up razor-straight along her back, and hide under my bed. And my kids have reported seeing and hearing things down there. But that could just be their overactive imaginations. I haven't experienced anything out of the norm.

I'm happy to report that the TV has been a good girl ever since I posted about it...Don't know what the deal is, can't think of why or how the channel changed on its own, and I expect it'll probably happen again. Weird shit, eh?

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Are you still taking applications?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home