Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Cozy Guy

My oldest daughter's boyfriend, Adam, is 6'5", weighs approximately 220 pounds, plays bass for an up and coming local hardcore band, and has many, many, many, many (many) tattoos, but that doesn't stop my boy from giving Adam big ol' bear hugs every time he visits.

I wonder if my son imagines that Adam is like a great fairytale giant who has wandered into our Lilliputian land, whose tallest citizen, King Lar (my husband), is just 5'7", and feels that the great giant is lonely and confused, thus needing hugs.

Anyway, today was no exception with the hug, and, as always, I couldn't help but beam like an idiot while watching my darling little guy grab hold of Adam's tree trunk-like leg and shrieking "HI, ADAM! HI! HI, ADAM! Aaaaadaaaam, HI!"

Honestly, the cuteness is just...Beyond. My son looks like a tiny aphid affixed to this tremendously large rocker dude's leg. A wee mite. A minuscule, loud, pesky little sprite who is next to impossible to shake. And Adam stands quite still, awkwardly pats my son on his head, and blushes like a school girl who's just dropped her lunch tray. Too sweet, really.

But what my boy said after giving Adam his usual "hello" hug today was so charming, my teeth clenched, began tingling in that familiar "I must bite something now" way that is both frightening and strangely satisfying, until I did, in fact, bite something (a rubber dinosaur).

He said: "Oooh, Mommy, Adam is so cozy! He's just a cozy, cozy guy!"

Well, I must tell you that the moment veered right, departed Cuteville doing sixty miles an hour, headed straight into Adorable Town, and screeched to a halt in front of Mr. Fluffy Pants Maguire, Mayor of Adorable Town.

I bit the dinosaur in two, yes I did.

FACT: They don't make rubber dinosaurs like they used to.

4 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

As the mother-to-be of a son, I'm delighting even more in your son's cozy-cuteness. Love him!! He found the perfect word to describe how Adam feels to him.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Alexis said...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/03/28/autism.essay/index.html

Ms. Lori - hope you are well - saw this and thought of you (in a I think she'll like this kind of way :)x x x x

 
At 5:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah bless! :-)

I think it is adorable too. As the mother of a hardcore guitar playing pierced son - even more so ;-)

If only everyone would treat everyone as equals - what ever they looked like the world would be a better place - Did you see that awful news story on the BBC about the Goth girl who was kicked to death by a group of teenaged thugs after going to her boyfriends rescue? Terrible! Just because they looked different....

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Booming the Bass is Better Bigger.

My big brother is a bassist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home