Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My Mother...

Was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia yesterday, a cancer of the white blood cell that had developed from previously undiagnosed Myelodysplastic syndrome. This form of leukemia is particularly aggressive.

She’d been feeling quite ill since December, but her primary doctor kept telling her it was all in her head, and threw every pain med (she also has degenerative arthritis of the spine) and anti-depressant on the market at her. A few weeks ago, she convinced my mother to see a psychiatrist.

At one point, my mother was so doped up, she was slurring her speech and frequently appeared disoriented. I don’t even know how she went to work.

Mom went to the emergency department last week, unable to cope with the constant fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and pain, and the preliminary blood tests showed abnormalities. Upon seeing her primary doctor after the initial worrisome test results, the doctor had this to say (paraphrasing here): “I apologize, Suzanne, for not investigating your symptoms more vigorously.”

Well, goodness, it’s nice to know that Dr. Incompetent Drug Pusher is sorry, isn’t it? Restores my faith in humanity, it does.

Today, my brother, Dan, will accompany Mom to meet with an oncologist to discuss treatment, which will involve some heavy duty chemotherapy. They want her to begin as soon as possible. I’ll be going with her to the hospital on Friday for more tests, and to speak with her doctors.

At least Mom is in good hands now.


UPDATE 5/23:
Good news and bad news -- Mom's doctors have determined that her leukemia most likely is not a result of Myelodysplastic syndrome, meaning that her prognosis is looking much better. Awesomely awesome news. She's going into hospital on Thursday to begin inductive chemotherapy, and will stay there for an entire month.

Now for the bad...One of my kids caught lice.

Someone pass me the Jose Cuervo.

9 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to read that. I hope your Mum gets the best of care and everything works out well for her and you. :(

A lot of Doctors out there need to be reminded that they are supposed to be providing treatment and care, not just paying their mortgages, bastards.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

I am so, so sorry to hear this Lor. Though I'm sure there is relief for her at the same time.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard a similar story. It's sickening. We have to be so proactive re: our health.

Sheesh. Sending lotsa love

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Sam, thank you so much. Mom's doctors are wonderful, and as my update states, her prognosis is not as grim as we first thought. Woo!

Jordan, thank you. It *is* a relief for her to know that at least she can put a name on the demon illness that's been plaguing her for months and months.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Editor at Large said...

Damn, Lori, this has been a fuckuva year for you and your family. When will the Dark Comedian back off and pick on someone else for a change?

We'll light a candle and raise a glass (of Cuervo) to more good news coming your way...soon.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger gerry rosser said...

Hope she gets better.
At least she doesn't have lice.

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mom.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Rabbitch said...

I'm so sorry, Lori. Can you email me? Well of course you ~can~. Would you be so good as to email me at bunniegirl at shaw dot ca? I've lost your email address. The drinking, you know.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Justice said...

I'll see you that Cuervo and raise you a... Vicodin! Ha!

I hope the best for your mom, and you. My mom and I have been through this.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Hey, Aphid, Editor, Gerry, Kirby & Justice, I sure do appreciate you all knocking back a few shooters with me! Mucho gracias!

Rabbitch, me love you long time. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home