Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I'm Sort of Dumb, But I Mean Well

My oldest daughter had her senior portraits taken last night, and I, unfortunately, may have caused her some embarrassment during the process.

I can be childlike at times, talk too loudly when excited, and have difficulty with instruction if not written out in 1-2-3 steps…So she became a bit agitated (rolling eyes, exaggerated sighs) when, during her photo shoot, I snooped around in the photographer‘s prop boxes, retrieved various objects of interest, such as a gigantic purple flower, a yellow stuffed ducky, and waved them behind the photographer’s head, did a little dance with them.

She also might not have enjoyed my outbursts of “Gee, when I had my senior portraits done, the stupid photographer guy kept telling me to lick my lips," and “Honey, just look at this fabulous feather boa!" (Moooommmmmm! STOP IT!)

Then came time to choose the best pictures, which one goes into the yearbook, which ones to give out to family and friends, how many sheets to purchase with which package, what the cost would be, and all that jazz, and I, of course, was perplexed and overwhelmed beyond what should be normal. I also loudly demonstrated my love of quite a few of the pictures. Like, loud loudly. 'Cause that's how I am when I love something.

I sounded exactly like this: Ooooh, that one is SOooooo beee-YOO-teeee***screech***ful! (Mooooooommmmm! [glances nervously over at the family next to us, lowers voice to harsh whisper] I HATE that picture!)

The photographer was very kind, very patient with me, despite my too-loud shrieks of picture appreciation, my unbelievable confusion, calmly repeated (over and over again) what each package would cost with this many sheets, and what pictures go where, etc., but my girl was not so patient, and I don‘t blame her one teensy bit. She finally ripped the brochures from my hands and said (with an exasperated exhaling of air), “Mooooooommmm! Just let me handle this, okay?”

Thank goodness I had no trouble writing out the check.

2 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's the thought that counts. You do mean well, don't you? Don't you?

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

I do, Kirby. I really, really do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home