Monday, March 20, 2006

To Dream the Impossible Dream

I had a most delightful dream last night, and woke up smiling. There was this dog, some kind of terrier with the loveliest cream-colored, light brown-spotted, short-haired coat, and big, soulful eyes framed in long golden lashes. She also had lips like a human being, the sweetest little rosebud lips, which amused me and the kids to no end. We kept asking her for a kiss, and she’d pucker up and plant one on us, and it wasn’t icky or gross in the least. Very dry, no dog breath.

I want a dog like that.

So I told my boy about the dream this morning and he said, “Awww, Mommy! That was my dream! You took my dream!” I assured him that I would give back the dream at precisely eight o’clock tonight. And he replied, “Okaaay. But, Mommy, please don't ever steal my dreams again.”

Pretty damn deep, that statement.

LATE, BREAKING ADDENDUM!!!!
Go forth and drool over the delicious new human born on March 18 to the wonderful Cassandra from Rantings of a Stay-At-Home Mom! MAdonn', get a look at that hair, will ya? ***squeal***

10 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

Mother dream catchers
Taste and touch but never steal
Children are their dreams


There once was a dog with pink lips
You could meet while in dreams, or on trips
While chasing sleep rabbit
He had the bad habit
Of Son to mom dream owner slips


Heh....

That is so cool. So eerie that he'd say you had his dream. How many times do we watch kids sleep and wish we could share and follow...

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

"Mother dream catchers
Taste and touch but never steal
Children are their dreams"

Is that yours, David? I love it.

When he told me to not steal his dreams again, I thought to myself, "From this day forward, I will support every dream this kid has, even if it involves grease paint and floppy shoes.

Kids are awesome, aren't they? :-)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

They are...and each day that they grow older and more distant, you realize it more deeply. We were sort of shocked/surprised to get Katie - both Trish and I are mid forties - but now we are already lamenting that she'll grow up soon (sigh).

The Haiku is mine, yes, I wrote it right after reading your post...

D

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Granny said...

Nice, Lori.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Lori, you make me smile!

Cassandra--congrats on your little sucker!!

David, I love the haiku! My word verification for this post today is ahhszmud. Can you write something with that?

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger David Niall Wilson said...

Okay..trying a third time to get it right...

She went to the spa
Reclined in the heated ooze
and said "Ahhz's mud

Lol...too much work for that...really.

sorry for the quality. I really can write a poem from nearly anything, and quickly. We played a game over at www.shocklines.com on the message board once. People posted 3 words - any three -- and three poets (myself and my collaborators on the Bram Stoker Award winning "Gossamer Eye") had to write a poem using the three words...as quickly as possible. It was kind of fun.

DNW

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

Nope. That was me. I've looked like a dog ever since that freak propane/leafblower/snowboarding incident. The doctors told me I might be brain damaged!

:D

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Thanks, Ann!

Cassandra, she's so beautiful. (((HUG)))

Ellen, and you make *me* smile.

David, Jesus H. OCD, thy name is David Niall Wilson ;-) ;-) ;-)

Jas, I believe the doctors may be correct in their assumption. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home