Friday, February 17, 2006

Thar She Blows

And my god, it sure does blow. Big time.

Damn wind. Damn 65 mph gusts from hell.

Blew down three gorgeous evergreens that once stood on the property line between my backyard and the neighbors’.

This is bad, for a few reasons:

1) They were beautiful trees. I shall miss gazing upon them while having my morning coffee.

2) Many creatures have lost a comfortable place to crash, mate, give birth, nosh. Poor things.

3) Now I won’t be able to enjoy my privacy. Those trees made a wonderful shield that prevented prying eyes from witnessing my summertime debauchery. The Old People in the Back are surely thanking the fearsome, shapeshifting goddess of snoopery, Gladys Kravitz, for bestowing this great gift unto them.

7 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Sorry to hear about your trees (and nosy neighbors). I think that wind is heading our way and I'm not looking forward to for many reasons--the biggest is that we have some big ass pine trees in our yard and I'd rather they didn't fall over and crush our house. Plus, they are pretty and old and I like them.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Editor at Large said...

I hate losing trees, too, and we've lost a lot of them this winter here in the wet, windy Willamette Valley (Oregon). Come to think of it, we've lost a disproportionate number of trees since Bush has been in office. Is there a connection? Sorry - I'm sounding like Mrs. Kravitz, who was a delusional paranoid. But her delusions were real and her paranoia was justified...

P.S. Love your blog.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Thanks, Myfanwy. Hope your trees weathered the storm.

Hey, Editor, thanks for stopping by! I kind of like the Kravitz analogy -- a lot. We liberals are seen as busybody bell-ringers to a world full of deceptive witches and their wussy enablers. And nobody is listening.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Ms. Lori, hope you have power and heat. Am worried that you are in one of those areas without.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Alan, I believe I'll take you up on that coaching.

Myfanwy, thanks for thinking of me! Luckily, no power problems in my neighborhood, thank goodness. One poor lady in a nearby town was killed, though, when a tree fell onto her car as she was driving.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Phew! Glad you are okay. We had someone near here get killed in the same way. Horrible and sad.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Ack! What the hell's going on with the weather here in the north?! Early spring-like temps one day, freezing the next, trees budding, trees getting blown over by hurricane force winds...

I'd say global warming and the like, but according to Bush and his weinerhead staff, that's the stuff of fantasy, so we must all be imagining things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home