Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Who Says There Are No More Heroes?

I found one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 29, 2004
OP-ED COLUMNIST
Sentenced to Be Raped
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

MEERWALA, Pakistan — I'm still trying to help out President Bush by tracking down Osama bin Laden. After poking through remote parts of Pakistan, asking for a tall Arab with a beard, I can't say I've earned that $25 million reward.

But I did come across someone even more extraordinary than Osama.

Usually we journalists write about rogues, but Mukhtaran Bibi could not be more altruistic or brave, as the men who gang-raped her discovered. I firmly believe that the central moral challenge of this century, equivalent to the struggles against slavery in the 19th century or against totalitarianism in the 20th, will be to address sex inequality in the third world - and it's the stories of women like Ms. Mukhtaran that convince me this is so.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Read this incredible story about a beautiful and brave soul who should forever be held as inspiration to all women everywhere
here.

Log in and be inspired...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home