Thursday, January 27, 2005

At Least My Breath is Minty Fresh...

Ever comment on a message board or blog and realize later that you made an embarrassing grammar or spelling error?

I did such a thing the other day, and no matter how many York Peppermint Patties I’ve consumed in the past three days or so, my shame will not be quashed.

Because there’s nothing that I can do to rectify my hideous show of idiocy, my embarrassing error will exist forever and ever and ever till the day I die.

Christ.

Oh, I suppose I could go on over to my friend’s blog and get all tardacious and things, explain away my glaring stupidity, but that seems so...liphentorphous. Not my style. So what I will do instead is this:

Per se: [adv] With respect to its inherent nature; "this statement is interesting per se"

Also: as such, in and of itself, intrinsically

Per say: [noun] Large rectangular carapace containing miniscule object that could be mistaken for a brain

Also: Ms. Lori’s thick skull

5 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Lori, Lori, Lori, I don't know why you're worrying because your wee mistake is in MY blog and it's certainly going to be in good company with all my typos and mispellings and general dumbness.

I make typos when I SPEAK. I just wrote a flash today and after mulling it over for just long enough, submitted it. It was quick-witted and fresh, with none of that hypercorrective staleness that happens when you mull something over for too long. And only AFTER it disappeared into the black hole of email did I see TA-DA! A ginormous, no-child-left-behind spelling mistake, right in the middle. Another memorable moment in my proofreading career.

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know, i'm trying to comment on blogs, and reference my site-- but i don't necessarily always "sign" my name for that reason! (and because i'm an editor) i don't like things being referenced for eternity in search engines.

as for more obvious errors, the kind i tend to make:) hey, strunk and white said it best "if you don't know what to say, say it LOUD! don't compound ignorance with inaudibility."

http://mooremarjo.blogspot.com

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

I appreciate that you guys are trying to make me feel better, but the sad truth is that I am the ultimate tool.

"PER SAY"???????????????????????????????????

I'll never live this down. Even when I'm in my grave, I shall roll over every time someone comes across my error.

Dammit, Katie, why won't Blogger fix their stupid comments system so that we can delete or edit our embarrassments?!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I don't think I can change comments or delete them, but there was an option to hide them, so I did that. Your secret is safe now!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

I appreciate that, Katie! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home