Saturday, October 30, 2004

Plagiarism

The definition of plagiarism: plagiarism is using others' ideas and words without clearly acknowledging the source of that information.

I'm flattered if someone enjoys my posts enough to e-mail them to friends, leave me comments, or write me directly -- I'm extra flattered if someone even goes to the trouble of posting something I've written on their blog -- but kids, if someone's posting my shit word for word on their blog without giving me credit, it's called plagiarism. Even if they add their own parenthetical quips, even if they change the title.

Most of you wouldn't think of doing such a thing, mainly because you have your own vivid imaginations, your own wonderful way with words...but there are some who obviously do not. And you know who you are.

Plagiarism is wrong, sunshine, both legally and morally, and it hurts Ms. Lori's feelings.

It makes me want to kill you.

That is all.

AddenDumDeeDum:'Kay. The problem has been resolved, so I deleted the plagiarist's site link from this entry. Thanks to all who commented or e-mailed me -- much appreciated!

12 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger jeckles said...

Right on!

Let's all please give credit where credit is due.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Thanks for your support, guys. I'm a-fumin'!

And a little sad.

Now I'm going to finish preparing my fabulous Italian dinner, kick back with my bro', drink many beers, and watch some bad scary movies. Hopefully, when I go back online tomorrow (or later tonight -- depends how drunk I get), this problem will have been resolved. If not, then there's gonna be hell to pay.

HELL, I tell you!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

It looks like he took the entry down. I hope that came along with an apology to you as well...

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why cry about something as silly as this? Besides, there isn't a CreativeCommons license on your site.

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,

You are rotund and repulsive.

Love,

Harlan "The Elk" Ellison

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's mature.

By the way, you really should get Haloscan on here so non-Blogger users don't have to post anonymously.

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrr! Give him the verbal asskicking that he so rightly deserves Ms. Lori (of which I have NO doubt you are supremely capable)!!

...and to the person who wrote about the creative commons license (excuse me, while I directly addresss your commenters :) );If someone feels that plagiarising is acceptable behaviour, do you honestly think they will give a sh*t about some creative commons license? Giving proper due is about manners first and foremost people, if you can't write original content, then why are you blogging?

Sam (see it ain't that hard to overcome bloggers anonymous comments, unless you are just hiding behind a feeble excuse?)

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Shelley said...

Hey Anonymous...

Oh, ok...it's ok to steal as long as there is no creativecommons license? Good to know.

How ridiculous! Now why don't you try writing your own posts for a while....

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Hi,

Great post. I found your blog via Blog Explosion, uh, yesterday, I think. I've been suring on BE a lot this weekend. I added you to my Bloglines subs. Thanks for visiting Cyber Chocolate and for blogrolling me.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Ms. Lori said...

Razz, thanks for your comments.
I found out by accident -- was reading blogs on BlogExplosion, and came across it. What luck, eh? There it was, the third blog or so. And I wanted to punch him in his nuts.

Too bad, really. He doesn't seem like a bad person...perhaps confused? Initially, I was cool about it, told him that I didn't mind if he kept my post up, long as he gave me credit, but he ignored my request. That's when I really got mad. I suspect he only took it down after being pressured by readers here and BE administrators.

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It actually isn't down. Google still has it cached (as recently as yesterday). Wonder where its hiding...

~Vin

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Luke said...

If you copy from one source, it's plagiarism...if you copy from many, then it's research!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home